Sunday, May 3, 2009

Saturday Classes

I have been taking figure drawing classes on Saturdays... this is the first time I have tried figure drawing and it's been challenging because the group I joined has been working on this for 2 years while I just have had a couple of sessions and to top it all off there are a couple of REALLY fantastic artists in the group which can be enough to intimidate anyone!

It's also a challenge because the class is pretty fast-paced, yesterday's class included 3 10-minute portrait sketches, 4 10-minute full body sketches, the rest of the class -about 40 minutes were used to complete the watercolor piece. This one actually took me 2 classes to complete and I finished the background at home later in the evening.


The graphite one was done during the first 2 classes I attended.

Some things I still have to work on:

*A LOT on faces...I'm having quite a difficult time getting the features and the proportions just right.

*The overall size of the art, I have this tendency to draw everything a tad too large and very frequently I find that the image doesn't fit in the paper, I finally improved that a bit in my quick sketches yesterday by drawing an inside frame very lightly with pencil and trying to work in that area alone.

I'll try to find some decent looking quick sketches to post here (most of them are NEVER going to see the light of day!)

4 comments:

Jennifer Williams said...

I think you are doing wonderfully! I've never been able to get proportions down. With a little practice you'll have the faces down pat.

EraserQueen said...

I always had a hard time with the faces myself! They always looked bad! But yours are very nice, especially the one in the colored painting, which I love! The colors are so soft and really complement the pose, which you've rendered really nicely too. Fantastic, and I hope you post more work from your sessions! ^__^

Anne said...

Hi, Jenn! Wonderful work! Those quick sketches are just meant to be warm-ups, to get you into "drawing" mode by letting all the mind chatter go ... and to help the model prepare to hold the later positions longer. Don't worry about showing any of them! And don't be intimidated by those who have been there longer. We all have to start somewhere and it is okay to be the "beginner" in the group. Just think of all the great stuff you'll absorb being around the others! Hope we get to see more from your classes! :-)

Enzie at World Market Portraits said...

I remember my first year of figure drawing class ~oh how frustrating that was. You have a great start here so hang in there, it never gets any easier, but with time it does become more fun!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments :)